Disclaimer: This post is aimed at retro-gaming preservation and code-archeology. All product names, trademarks, and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
933 days, this is the amount of time that passed since part 1 of that blog post. I had almost all work done back in 2018, I was just missing one small detail about the palette applied to the rendered frames. Then life happened and I pretty much abandoned not only this blog but all of my side projects. Around the beginning of February 2021, I felt a sudden urge to finish that project and I dug up all of my notes and source codes and started moving forward. The sources, obviously, didn’t meet my quality bar after all these years, but I took the time to modernize them a bit, so it is less of a shame to make them public.
Before I start, I encourage old and new readers to take a look at part 1, as this post is a continuation and it may be easier to follow along being familiar with the prior research.
One more thing that is worth mentioning that I didn’t know in 2018 is that MK1 and MK2 executables have embedded Watcom compiler symbols. I learned about it just recently when I was looking for some recent development with regard to MK reverse engineering efforts:
I didn’t use the wcdctool as the list of steps to make it work is quite long and I have most of the executable described in IDA anyway. The most important learning I took from wcdctool is the existence of wdump utility (Open Watcom Executable Image Dump Utility) that can dump all available symbols. I used that tool to apply original functions/symbols names in IDA (on top of my own naming), so I may sometimes refer to those original names, provided they are better than the one I came up with.
Continue reading →
Disclaimer: This post is aimed at retro-gaming preservation and code-archeology. All product names, trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
GRA files are used by the PC DOS version of Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 (available on GOG) to store all kinds of graphics. There are two different types of GRA files:
- compressed static images or animations – this is a well-defined self-contained file format that can be easily converted to the PNG/APNG/GIF, the only obstacle is compression which has to be reverse-engineered first. I’ll refer to it as cGRA and cover that format today.
- not compressed sprites/fonts/graphic objects/UI elements – this format is kind of a mess, it just contains encoded pixel data without any metadata. All necessary information has to be scavenged from the Mortal Kombat executable (sprites offsets, width, height, palette). I’ll refer to it as uGRA and cover that format in part 2 of this blog post (still have to figure out a few things).
Continue reading →
It’s almost 6 months since the last post, so to keep some good yearly average it’s finally time to write something here. For the last couple of months, most of my spare time went into various CTF challenges. Since I’m very new to CTFs, usually I’m not able to solve top scoring tasks and people familiar with CTFs probably know that challenges with lower score are not really interesting enough to write anything more than a few lines writeup (and there is usually dozens of writeups already published, before I even think about writing something). So this time it might be a bit different since the IceCTF was 2 weeks long, and I could prepare some good writeup before competition ends. I did two pwn tasks, which are actually very similar to each other. First one was initially for 300 points, but the organizers figured out, that it’s easier than they thought, so they lowered score to 140pts and published improved version of the task for 300pts. Description for both tasks was pretty straight forward Continue reading →
Another approach to crackmes solving, this time it is .NET crackme written by |sas0|. I’ve found it on crackmes.de, it was published on 27 November 2012, difficulty was set to 3 – Getting harder. I’ve decided to give it a try as I don’t have much experience with .NET targets. It took me 3 days to solve it, but I consider those three days as a good time investment, because I had a chance to learn a few new things. So, here is my story:
Continue reading →
In this post I want to share some of my thoughts about embedding python into C/C++ applications. It will not be yet another python tutorial, but just my personal feelings about some of the mechanisms that I’ve encountered during my work on dirtyJOE. I’ll describe three completely different things:
- Usage of FILE* structure by Python runtime
- Small differences between different Python versions
- Reference counting
Above three topics are just small part of the whole python embedding topic, but they attracted me enough to write about it. So let’s start. Continue reading →
Python scripting in dirtyJOE can be used to modify CONSTANT_Utf8 objects from Constant Pool. One of the main use is decryption of CONSTANT_Utf8 objects in obfuscated .class files. Decrypted objects are useful in forensic analysis, they can be also used to translate obfuscated java application.
I’ll show how to use python scripting on sample obfuscated java malware called Boonana. Mentioned malware appeared in october 2010 and was obfuscated with Zelix KlassMaster 5.3.3E (according to entry in constant pool “ZKM5.3.3E”).
Continue reading →
New version of dirtyJOE is available for download from http://dirty-joe.com
- Python scripting for Utf8 objects
- drag’n’drop support
- ability to copy disassembly to clipboard
- ability to change font in disassembly windows
- update check on startup
I’ll publish short tutorial about python scripting in the next blog post (it is already available as a part of help file)